Monday, April 19, 2010

What Do Marketer’s Do?

I was recently asked by a member of my family, what I do all day. The individual asked how I could possibly keep busy if all I did was marketing. I explained that if a marketer was not busy, they were not doing their job. Our ‘job’ is to promote the company’s name, reputation, products, logo, employee’s, projects, events, and everything else in any way shape or form connected to the company. We always have a list of projects we are working to complete. The list is always longer than time permits and as an item is completed and comes off the list, usually two more take its place. For me, it’s the perfect job. It allows me to use both sides of my brain, so I’m never bored. I use the analytical side of my brain in determining what projects/ideas are the most cost effective. I research market trends, do cost analysis, prepare budgets, plan events, and make lists. I also, though, get to use the creative side of my brain. I help conceptualize advertising campaigns, trade show event designs, plan videos, write press releases, create newsletters, and generally try to come up with something new that will catch our customers’ attention in everything we do.

The family member persisted with, “Well isn’t it boring trying to market packaging machinery?” My answer is a definitive “No.” It really isn’t a matter of what you’re marketing. The challenges are what make the job enjoyable. Whether you are marketing bottle unscramblers, or cosmetics, you will always have to contend with besting your competitors, catching the attention of your customers, increasing your market share, and ultimately growing the company’s sales.

I often think about the saying ‘find what you love doing and make a career of doing it.’ I guess I’m one of the lucky people who have accomplished that task. I can’t imagine having as much fun doing anything else.

The author, Marge Bonura, is the Director of Sales & Marketing for New England Machinery, Inc. (NEM). NEM is a leading manufacturer of bottle unscramblers, cappers, orienters, retorquers, lidders, pluggers, pump sorter/placers, scoop feeders, hopper elevators and much more. The company has been in business since 1974 selling to the food, beverage, pharmaceutical, personal care, chemical, household products, automotive and other industries. For more information on NEM, visit their website at www.neminc.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment