Wednesday, June 23, 2010

How Important is Relationship Selling?

As a marketer I get bombarded on a daily basis by companies that sell advertising and promotional items. I do purchase these products from time to time, but certainly not on a daily basis. When I’m on a tight schedule, which is most of the time, I cannot spare even two minutes out of my day to take their phone calls, or visit with them in the lobby. I will usually open their e-mails and briefly glance at them, if there is something of interest in the e-mail I will move it to a folder for future reference, otherwise I will delete it.


So how do they get through to me when I do need their services? Relationships. When I need something, I first do my own research to know what it is I am looking to purchase. When it comes to advertising, I want to put my money where it will get the largest audience. If my research tells me there are two or three advertising opportunities that are equal in audience, price, and market, my decision would be to call the ad salesperson who has made an effort to start a relationship with me. The same goes for promotional items. Most companies that sell promotional items are resellers. They all can purchase them through the same manufacturers. So again, if all things are equal as far as price, availability, and service, I’m going to call the salesperson who has reached out to me repeatedly in the past. I may not always take their calls or visit with them often, but it is the ones that call me several times a year, send me e-mails at least every other month, and stop by my office, (preferably with, but sometimes without an appointment), that will be first in my mind to call.

Now, there have been salespersons who did all of the above, but failed in the service department after I placed an order. Those usually won’t get a second chance. So service, quality and price are important, but in order to get the chance to even quote me, I have to know who you are and have you in mind when it’s time to make a purchase. If you want to sell a product, you need to know your potential customers and keep your profile in their mind. They need to feel that you will be there when they need you.

The author, Marge Bonura, is the Director of Sales & Marketing for New England Machinery, Inc. (NEM). NEM is a leading manufacturer of bottle unscramblers, cappers, orienters, retorquers, lidders, pluggers, pump sorter/placers, scoop feeders, hopper elevators and much more. The company has been in business since 1974 selling to the food, beverage, pharmaceutical, personal care, chemical, household products, automotive and other industries. For more information on NEM, visit their website at www.neminc.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment