Monday, October 25, 2010

Will Beverages Go Smaller?

The latest trend to smaller sized beverage packaging seems to have caught on. The industry calls it ‘Grab and Go’ size. I tend to believe there’s more to the popularity of the size than its convenience. I think it might have something to do with an aging baby boomer generation not wanting to drink 12 ounces of soft drinks at one sitting. They are trying to cut back on the calories, while still being able to enjoy their favorite beverage.

I’m a good example. I’m trying to consume less calories as I don’t burn them as fast as I used to and don’t want to put on a lot of weight. However, I still want to be able to enjoy a Coke (my favorite) every now and then. The twelve ounce cans are just too much for me to finish. The new smaller cans are perfect. I can finish the whole can and not feel guilty for over-indulging (by finishing a whole 12 oz. can) or leaving waste (by not finishing the 12 oz. can).

What will be the next smaller packing trend? I believe as my generation grows older, we will continue to change the world of business to suit our needs. There are just too many of us to ignore. We might be the generation who invented the ‘super-size’, but as we age, we’re going to need to down-size those portions as well.

The author, Marge Bonura, is the Director of Sales & Marketing for New England Machinery, Inc. (NEM). NEM is a leading manufacturer of bottle unscramblers, cappers, orienters, retorquers, lidders, pluggers, pump sorter/placers, scoop feeders, hopper elevators and much more. The company has been in business since 1974 selling to the food, beverage, pharmaceutical, personal care, chemical, household products, automotive and other industries. For more information on NEM, visit their website at www.neminc.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment